On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Alexander Motin wrote:

Hi.

I've created patch, based on earlier work of avg@, to add back pressure to UMA allocation caches. The problem of physical memory or KVA exhaustion existed there for many years and it is quite critical now for improving systems performance while keeping stability. Changes done in memory allocation last years improved situation. but haven't fixed completely. My patch solves remaining problems from two sides: a) reducing bucket sizes every time system detects low memory condition; and b) as last-resort mechanism for very low memory condition, it cycling over all CPUs to purge their per-CPU UMA caches. Benefit of this approach is in absence of any additional hard-coded limits on cache sizes -- they are self-tuned, based on load and memory pressure.

With this change I believe it should be safe enough to enable UMA allocation caches in ZFS via vfs.zfs.zio.use_uma tunable (at least for amd64). I did many tests on machine with 24 logical cores (and as result strong allocation cache effects), and can say that with 40GB RAM using UMA caches, allowed by this change, by two times increases results of SPEC NFS benchmark on ZFS pool of several SSDs. To test system stability I've run the same test with physical memory limited to just 2GB and system successfully survived that, and even showed results 1.5 times better then with just last resort measures of b). In both cases tools/umastat no longer shows unbound UMA cache growth, that makes me believe in viability of this approach for longer runs.

I would like to hear some comments about that:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/uma_pressure.patch

Hey Mav,

This is a great start and great results. I think it could probably even go in as-is, but I have a few suggestions.

First, let's test this with something that is really super allocator heavy and doesn't benefit much from bucket sizing. For example, a network forwarding test. Or maybe you could get someone like Netflix that is using it to push a lot of bits with less filesystem cost than zfs and spec.

Second, the cpu binding is a very costly and very high-latency operation. It would make sense to do CPU_FOREACH and then ZONE_FOREACH. You're also biasing the first zones in the list. The low memory condition will more often clear after you check these first zones. So you might just check it once and equally penalize all zones. I'm concerned that doing CPU_FOREACH in every zone will slow the pagedaemon more. We also have been working towards per-domain pagedaemons so perhaps we should have a uma-reclaim taskqueue that we wake up to do the work?

Third, using vm_page_count_min() will only trigger when the pageout daemon can't keep up with the free target. Typically this should only happen with a lot of dirty mmap'd pages or incredibly high system load coupled with frequent allocations. So there may be many cases where reclaiming the extra UMA memory is helpful but the pagedaemon can still keep up while pushing out file pages that we'd prefer to keep.

I think the perfect heuristic would have some idea of how likely the UMA pages are to be re-used immediately so we can more effectively tradeoff between file pages and kernel memory cache. As it is now we limit the uma_reclaim() calls to every 10 seconds when there is memory pressure. Perhaps we could keep a timestamp for when the last slab was allocated to a zone and do the more expensive reclaim on zones who have timestamps that exceed some threshold? Then have a lower threshold for reclaiming at all? Again, it doesn't need to be perfect, but I believe we can catch a wider set of cases by carefully scheduling this.

Thanks,
Jeff

Thank you.

--