On Mar 7, 2014, at 4:12 PM, Eitan Adler <li...@eitanadler.com> wrote:

> On 7 March 2014 13:50, Rui Paulo <rpa...@felyko.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, definitely.  Building FreeBSD on other platforms is one of the
>>> requests we get very often from embedded systems vendors.  Cheap
>>> virtualisation has made it less urgent (they can just stick a FreeBSD
>>> VirtualBox VM on their workstations), but it's definitely something we'd
>>> like eventually.  To my knowledge, no one is working on it, but we should
>>> aim to make life easy for whoever does...
>>
>> I guess I should clarify: I wasn’t talking about cross building in general,
>> but specifically on Windows.  It’s far easier to setup a case-sensitive file
>> system on OS X and cross build FreeBSD from there than it is on Windows.
>
> Over 50% of the people that come to FreeBSD.org run windows.  If it is
> possible to support building on windows, we should try.

The big issue isn’t case sensitivity or file names ending in dot. The real
issue is that our build just isn’t setup for this at the moment and it would be
a big lift to make it work at all. Sure, go ahead and fix this minor flea-bite
of an issue, but there are several large elephant-sized issues before we could
have even a tiny chance of doing this...

Warner