Warner Losh wrote this message on Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:30 -0600:

> On Mar 20, 2014, at 8:25 AM, David Chisnall <thera...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On 20 Mar 2014, at 14:08, John Baldwin <j...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> >> No, the compiler should provide a working "wmmintrin.h" header in one of
> >> its built-in paths if it supports the AES instructions.  This is akin to
> >> saying that code that uses "stdio.h" should use -I/usr/src/include.
> >
> > It does, however our build system then explicitly says to the compiler
> > 'don't use your built-it paths because they may contain declarations that
> > contradict the FreeBSD ones' by means of the sysroot argument.  When not
> > using an external toolchain, we put the compiler's internal headers inside
> > the sysroot.
>
> Sounds like we?re building the sysroot wrong then.

I'm not familar w/ cross tools, are cross tools suppose to "just work",
or do you still require building kernel-toolchain?  The wiki doesn't
talk about buildkernel...  If it's still required to build
kernel-toolchain before buildkernel, one option is to remove the
exclusion of the _includes target from kernel-toolchain, though _includes
doesn't appear to install the header...  It looks like it never
goes into lib/clang to install them, though I'm not sure if it is suppose
to or not..  If you use COMPILER_TYPE=gcc, it doesn't go into the proper
gcc subdir to install them either...

In investigating this, it looks like we might have a make rule conflict
in usr.sbin/bsdconfig...  It has a subdir includes, but bsd.subdir.mk
also defines a rule includes (for building inclues) which results in
this:
make[4]: "/usr/src/share/mk/bsd.subdir.mk" line 85: warning: duplicate script
for target "includes" ignored
make[4]: "/usr/src/share/mk/bsd.subdir.mk" line 69: warning: using previous
script for "includes" defined here

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 415 225 5579