On 2014-03-21 03:47, M&S - Krasznai András wrote:
> hi
>
> I have been using freebsd and windows 7 on mbr partitioned hdd (using easybcd
> on windows to manipulate boot menu and boot code).
>
> recently I bought an new machine with Intel I7 processor,  uefi bios, ssd and
> installed windows 7 64-bit first.
>
> after that I installed freebsd 10 (amd64); I used guided partitioning, which
> created a 64-kB freebsd-boot partition, a 48GB / partition and a swap about
> 2.5 GB.
>

> Then I tried to set up booting by the same method: install easybcd in
> windows, then set up boot menu with easybcd, add an entry   freebsd as
> BSD/FreeBSD type entry,  but this time I am not able to get it work.
>
> Win 7 boots OK, but freebsd does not start, the windows boot manager
> complains about missing or corrupt boot block, which is definitely on the
> given full path.
>
> How can I get a working dual booting system in this case? Can anbody help me?
>
> Regards
> Krasznai András
> rendszermérnök
> M&S Informatikai Zrt.
> 1136 Budapest, Pannónia u. 17/A.
> Telefon: +36   1 703-2923
> Mobil:    +36 30 703-2923

If I recall correctly, Windows will only boot a GPT partition if uEFI is
enabled, and FreeBSD cannot boot uEFI (yet). I have only successfully
dual booted using 2 different drives and using the BIOS boot selection
menu, with the BIOS set to uEFI/CSM fallback mode, so that it uses uEFI
for the Windows disk and CSM for the FreeBSD disk.

Although, I didn't really try that hard, as I had the two drives and it
worked.

--
Allan Jude