On May 11, 2014, at 5:00 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodr...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>>
>> On May 11, 2014, at 1:43 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodr...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>>> make[1]:
>>> "/builds/FreeBSD_HEAD-modules/sys/modules/aac/../../conf/kern.opts.mk"
>>> line 24: Could not find ../../share/mk/bsd.mkopt.mk
>
> Instead of explicitly specifying the path to "../../share/mk",
> should some additional logic be added to respect
> MAKESYSPATH?

The only logic that can work is to test MAKESYSPATH and respect it if it is
defined, and use the relative path if not (since we don’t require MAKESYSPATH
to be defined to do a out-of-tree module build, and could be built on a system
that isn’t running the latest current).

> Some people building products do build the kernel and modules out of the
> FreeBSD source tree, and put their mk files in a directory
> which is not src/share/mk.

That’s not really a supported configuration. Using JIRA to force it is rather
an annoying use of JIRA since it makes making JIRA happy hard to test and
outside the normal work flow. This will cause pain in the future, and I also
object to my changes being characterized as “wrong” when such a non-standard
setup has never been explicitly supported, required or part of anybody’s normal
workflow. Grump.

I’ve prepared a compromise commit, but I’m not happy about it, and think it is
a horribly ugly kludge. But I can think of no other ways to keep both use cases
working.

Warner