On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 02:15:06AM +0300, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 08, 2014 at 04:36:45PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 08, 2014 at 01:33:31PM -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > > Now, as for how much bloat it adds to the CD images...
> > >

> > Enough that it will be turned off for the CDs.
> I wanted to answer that we should split the question into two,
> one is whether to enable tests installation by default for buildworld
> (and I answered no there), another is whether to ship tests with the
> installation media, both on releases and snapshots.
> I think that we should do the later, if not on CD, then on DVD and for
> ftp installs.  This would mean that there is one more customization
> for the release build process, but I do not think that the release
> build structure requires significant changes.

We are dangerously teetering every time an option to add "just one more"
thing to the CD is committed to being unable to fall below the 685MB
size (which I understand is what FreeBSDMall needs for the CDs they

So, as our src/ and ports/ trees grow, the room we have left is
shrinking fast.  I think it is not feasible to ship the tests on the CD,
but I do agree they can be shipped on the DVD.

Julio has submitted a review request for this to make a tests.txz
distribution, which can then be excluded for the bootonly.iso and
disc1.iso, but kept for the dvd.iso.

I am building a test release build with this change now, but I am aware
of one immediate problem that will be encountered - if we default
WITH_TESTS=1, the running userland on the bootonly.iso and disc1.iso
(used for the installer) will also include the tests.

This is because we do not evaluate the value of WITH_TESTS=, but only
that it is defined.  This is also a problem for the debug.txz with
WITH_DEBUG_FILES=1 for the buildworld/buildkernel, but
WITHOUT_DEBUG_FILES=1 for the bootonly.iso and disc1.iso creation,
because we cannot set both.

Some of the later commits to a projects/ branch to work on allowing the
debug.txz to be fetched from FTP (or via the netinstall) illustrates the
problem and some very hackish workarounds I have tried.