Am Tue, 01 Jul 2014 17:23:14 +0200
Willem Jan Withagen <w...@digiware.nl> schrieb:

> On 2014-07-01 16:48, Rang, Anton wrote:
> > DOT => DOD
> >
> > 444F54 => 444F44
> >
> > That's a single-bit flip.  Bad memory, perhaps?
>
> Very likely, especially if the system does not have ECC....
> It just happens on rare occasions that a alpha particle, power cycle, or
> any things else disruptive damages a memory cell. And it could be that
> it requires a special pattern of accesses to actually exhibit the error.
>
> In the past (199x's) 'make buildworld' used to be a rather good memory
> tester. But nowadays look at
>       http://www.memtest.org/
>
> This tool has found all of the bad memory in all the systems I used and
> or build for others...
> Note that it might take a few runs and some more heat to actually
> trigger the faulty cell, but memtest86 will usually find it.
>
> Note that on big systems with lots of memory it can take a loooooong
> time to run just one full testset to completion.
>
> --WjW

I already testet via memtest86+ (had to download the linux image, the port on
FreeBSD is
broken on CURRENT). It didn't find anything strange so far.

I will do another test.

I realised, that on that that specific box, the chipset temperature is 81 Grad
Celius.
The chipset is a Eaglelake P45 - in which the memory controller resides on that
old
platform. dmidecode gives:

        Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
        Product Name: P5Q-WS