On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Slawa Olhovchenkov <s...@zxy.spb.ru> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 09:31:45AM +0100, Nikolay Denev wrote:

>> > No, 40G Ethernet is  single channel from the interface perspective.. What
>> > my be confusing you is that they may use "lanes" which, for 40G,  are
>> > 10.3125G. But, unlike the case with Etherchannel, these lanes are "hidden"
>> > from the MAC. The interface deals with a single stream and parcels it out
>> > over the 10G (or 25G) lanes. All 100G optical links use multiple lanes
>> > (4x25G or 10x10G), but 40G my use either a single 40G lane for distances of
>> > up to 2km or 4x10G for longer runs.
>> >
>> > Since, in most cases, 40G is used within a data center or to connect to
>> > wave gear for DWDM transmission over very long distances, most runs are
>> > under 2km, so a single 40G lane may be used. When 4 lanes are used, a
>> > ribbon cable is required to assure that all optical or copper paths are
>> > exactly the same length. Since the PMD is designed to know about and use
>> > these lanes for a single channel, the issue of packet re-ordering is not
>> > present and the protocol layers above the physical are unaware of how many
>> > lanes are used.
>> >
>> > Wikipedia has a fairly good discussion under the unfortunate title of 100
>> > Gigabit Ethernet <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Gigabit_Ethernet>.
>> > Regardless of the title, the article covers both 40 and 100 Gigabit
>> > specifications as both were specified on the same standard, 802.3ba.
>> >
>> > --
>> > R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
>> > E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com
>>
>> I found this white paper useful in understanding how this works :
>> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-3000-series-switches/white_paper_c11-726674.pdf
>
> In real world "Reality is quite different than it actually is".
> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-696669.html
>
> See "Packet Path Theory of Operation. Ingress Mode".

Interesting, however this seems like implementation specific detail,
and not limitation of native 40Gbit ethernet.
Still, it's something that one must be aware of (esp when dealing with
Cisco gear :) )

I wonder why they are not doing something like this :
http://blog.ipspace.net/2011/04/brocade-vcs-fabric-has-almost-perfect.html

--Nikolay