On 05 Jul 2014, at 14:49, David Chisnall <thera...@theravensnest.org> wrote:
> On 4 Jul 2014, at 19:18, David Wolfskill <da...@catwhisker.org> wrote:
>
>> clang -O2 -pipe  -std=gnu99 -Qunused-arguments  -fstack-protector
>> -Wsystem-headers -Werror -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W -Wno-unused-parameter
>> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wno-uninitialized
>> -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-empty-body -Wno-string-plus-int
>> -Wno-unused-const-variable -Wno-tautological-compare -Wno-unused-value
>> -Wno-parentheses-equality -Wno-unused-function -Wno-enum-conversion  -o
>> sysctl sysctl.o
>
> This compile line is turning off a lot of warnings.  In particular,
> -Wno-uninitialized and -Wno-parentheses-equality are likely to hide warnings
> that refer to real errors.

Interestingly, -Wno-uninitialized has been in bsd.sys.mk since r76861,
and the accompanying comment ("XXX Delete -Wuninitialized by default for
now -- the compiler doesn't always get it right") has never been
changed. :-)

It is probably time to re-enable that warning after 13 years, at least.

I'm not so sure about -Wno-parentheses-equality, because that might give
quite a few false positives, especially in old, contributed code.

-Dimitry