Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> Can you check whether one of your ethernet-ports has a double life
> as IPMI port and that one sends out the DHCP ?

No such setup. This is my workstation, with wake-on-lan and pxe-boot
disabled in bios.
Checking boot messages provides a little more insight - Its not one but
*both* NIC's that look for DHCP. Also, this is before root gets mounted, so
what's in rc.conf is irrelevant:

Sending DHCP Discover packet from interface re0 (mac#)
Sending DHCP Discover packet from interface re1 (mac#)
Received DHCP Offer packet on re0 from (accepted)
Received DHCP Offer packet on re0 from (ignored)
Received DHCP Offer packet on re0 from (ignored)
Sending DHCP Request packet from interface re0 (mac#)
Received DHCP Ack packet on re0 from (accepted)
DHCP timeout for interface re1
re0 at server
subnet mask router
Adjusted interface re0
Shutdown interface re1
Trying to mount root from zfs:bsd []...

I compile and use the same kernel for both host and pxe-booted diskless
clients. So my kernel config file has
options         NFSCL                   # Network Filesystem Client
options         NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires NFSCL
options         BOOTP                   # Needed for non-btx PXE
options         BOOTP_NFSROOT           # Needed for non-btx PXE
It's probably what's causing this behavior. Kernel must receive IP before it
can try and mount an NFS volume as root. However, I would have assumed that
the "vfs.root.mountfrom=" setting in loader.conf would be read before such

Sent from the freebsd-current mailing list archive at Nabble.com.