On 2014-09-20 09:10, O. Hartmann wrote:
Am Sat, 20 Sep 2014 07:36:21 -0600 (MDT)
Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> schrieb:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, O. Hartmann wrote:

> nVidia's BLOB from port x11/nvidia-driver seems to have problems in FreeBSD
> 11.0-CURRENT #2 r271869: Fri Sep 19 13:28:03 CEST 2014 amd64, on Lenovo
ThinkPad Edge
> E540 laptop with CPU i5-4200M (Haswell) with integrated HD4600 Intel iGPU and
> dedicated nVidia GT 740M (Optimus) working correctly.

Optimus is supposed to be full Intel graphics plus an Nvidia GPU.  The
extra GPU uses the same display memory and can be enabled to speed up
the Intel graphics or disabled for power saving.  I don't know if
versions where the Nvidia section is a full discrete video adapter that
can be used alone are still called "Optimus".

Some Optimus owners have reported being able to use the Intel drivers
after disabling the Nvidia GPU in the BIOS or UEFI.  If an option to
disable the Nvidia GPU is not present, some people have reported success with an xorg.conf that uses only the intel driver and ignores the Nvidia
hardware.

Thanks Warren.

But this sounds even more frustrating now. I look around the web even
at Lenovo's support
forum. Many people report the GT 740M nVidia adaptor as a discrete
adaptor with Optimus
technology and everything sounds to me like it can be selected
exclusively. What you
describes is that I definitely need to use the HD4600 iGPU on FreeBSD
in the first place
since the nVidia hardware is a kind of "appendix" to the HD4600.

Anyway, I also tried to configure X11 as HD4600 only and X11 doesn't
work properly: it
doesn't even start up and loading the "intel" driver complains about a
missing device -
preceeded by a lot of /dev/dri errors. This indicates to me, in a naiv
manner, that this
HD4600 isn't recodnized by the kernel, either. I do not see any kind
of vga0: entry in
the kernel log when enabling "Integrated Graphics" only in the
laptop's UEFI/Firmware.
When enabling "nVidia Optimus", a recognized vga0: device shows up.

From my server, equipted with a IvyBridge i3-class CPU with integrated
iGPU, I even get
this message from 11.0-CURRENT:

vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x01521849 chip=0x01528086
rev=0x09 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
device = 'Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA
bar [10] = type Memory, range 64, base 0xf7800000, size 4194304, enabled
    bar   [18] = type Prefetchable Memory, range 64, base 0xe0000000,
size 268435456,
enabled bar [20] = type I/O Port, range 32, base 0xf000, size 64, enabled
    cap 05[90] = MSI supports 1 message
    cap 01[d0] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D3  current D0
    cap 13[a4] = PCI Advanced Features: FLR TP

The very same CURRENT (most recent as I built world on all system today) doesn't
recognize the Haswell's HD4600 iGPU (i5-4200M). So, it seems
impossible to me that people
can report having this GPU working if even the most recent FreeBSD
CURRENT doesn't
recognize it.
for the record, on my Thinkpad W520+Docking Station, I get two HDMI / DVI outputs off the Nvidia GPU, in addition to the
Intel graphics on the local LCD.   This is under Windows, but.....

Phone: +1 214-642-9640 (c)     E-Mail: l...@lerctr.org
US Mail: 108 Turvey Cove, Hutto, TX 78634-5688