Quoting "O. Hartmann" <ohart...@zedat.fu-berlin.de>:

Since a couple of days I get this weird console-and-log-spamming message:

ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)

The machine in question is running the most recent CURRENT right now:

FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #2 r272471: Fri Oct  3 13:03:58 CEST 2014 amd64

and the box acts as a gateway with WiFi access point via hostapd and this WiFi hardware:

[...]
ath0: <Atheros 9287> mem 0xf7e00000-0xf7e0ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci1
ath0: [HT] enabling HT modes
ath0: [HT] enabling short-GI in 20MHz mode
ath0: [HT] 1 stream STBC receive enabled
ath0: [HT] 1 stream STBC transmit enabled
ath0: [HT] 2 RX streams; 2 TX streams
[...]
ath0: 2GHz radio: 0x0000; 5GHz radio: 0x00c0

What is this and how can I get rid of it?

It means that you have run into a well-known and long lasting hardware bug in Atheros Wifi chipsets, where they sometimes get stuck and stops sending out beacons. You get that message when the device driver detects that this has happened and resets the chip to get things going again.

There is, AFAIK, no way of making sure the problem cannot happen, but you might be able to reduce the frequency of it happening by reducing the amount of interference you receive from other wireless devices.