On 10/31/14, 1:41 AM, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
On 30 Oct 2014, at 12:49, Ed Maste wrote:

On 30 October 2014 02:20, John-Mark Gurney <j...@funkthat.com> wrote:
Oh, make sure that make install (or installkernel) properly handles
moving the debug data too... i.e. kernel to kernel.old...
Yes, in the case that /boot/kernel is moved to /boot/kernel.old
/usr/lib/debug/boot/kernel is moved to /usr/lib/debug/boot/kernel.old.
I definitely like the idea of moving the debug symbols out to /usr/lib/debug

I'm another person who sometimes has multiple kernels sitting in /boot
(which is one reason I'd like the debug symbols elsewhere!).  I may
shuffle those around by hand, and I'm sure I won't remember to shuffle
around information under /usr/lib/debug.  I also do things like
   cp -rp kernel kernel-PreBigChange
where I save away a copy of the kernel for possible fallback (at some
unknown future date), but I wouldn't need two copies of the debug info.

When we build a kernel, could we tag it with some unique-ID (by putting
that ID in a plain-text file inside the kernel's directory), and then
that unique-ID could be used for finding the correct debug info under
/usr/lib/debug?  This way we wouldn't need to move around any of the
debug info under /usr/lib/debug.  And we could tell which sets of
debug info should be removed by comparing the existing sets of debug
info with the kernel-unique-ID's which still exist under /boot.
I'd put the debug symbls somewhere with a unique name and than add a symlink from the installed directory..
(and an ID file)
So /boot/kernel.old/symbols points to /usr/lib/debug/kernelsymbols.20141031,1250 when you move the directory back to /boot/kernel, it STILL points to the right place.. occasionally remove all directories in /usr/lib/debug/kernelsymbols.* that are not pointed to by
a symlink in /boot/*/symbols.
An option could make the symlink relative for chroot/jail/nfs issues..

If debug tools need to have the debug-info for the booted kernel to
be in a fixed location, then maybe the boot-up process could create
a symlink from some fixed pathname to the correct debug info for the
kernel which the system booted up on.