On 12/3/14, 12:24 AM, Warner Losh wrote:
On Dec 1, 2014, at 10:08 PM, Julian Elischer <jul...@freebsd.org> wrote:

On 12/1/14, 11:39 PM, John Baldwin wrote:
On Friday, November 28, 2014 11:08:35 PM Julian Elischer wrote:
Do we need to compile all modules with witness definitions when
linking with a kernel compiled with witness?
This was true at one stage but I remember some work was done to make
them compatible.
You should not need this.  modules always call functions in the kernel for
lock operations and this functions are what invoke WITNESS.

that's what I thought but empirical evidence disagrees.
I'll try some more cases.
I swap back and forth all the time between the two. Kernel modules don’t
change when you compile them with WITNESS or without.
not entirely..
hwpmc.ko:                 U witness_restore
hwpmc.ko:                 U witness_save
zfs.ko:                 U witness_restore
zfs.ko:                 U witness_save