On 02/03/2015 02:33 PM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 09:50:22PM -0600, Eric Badger wrote:
On 02/02/2015 03:30 AM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
On Sun, Feb 01, 2015 at 08:38:29PM -0600, Eric Badger wrote:
On 01/31/2015 09:36 AM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
First, shouldn't the kve_type changed to KVME_TYPE_VNODE as well ?
My thinking is no, because KVME_TYPE_SWAP is in fact the correct type;
I'd opine that it is better to be transparent than make it look like
there is an OBJT_VNODE object there. It may be that some programs would
be confused by VNODE info returned on a SWAP type mapping, though I know
that dtrace handles it OK.
kve_vn_* and kve_path fields are defined only for KVME_TYPE_VNODE kve_type.
So this is in fact a bug in whatever used the API to access kve_path
for KVE_TYPE_SWAP.
Hmm, is that documented anywhere? I think it's fair to assume that
kve_vn* applies only to the VNODE type,
but I know there are several in-tree users that reference kve_path
regardless of type (ostensibly relying
on the default of an empty string). Maybe one could determine the
validity of the kve_vn* fields by
inspecting the kve_vn_type (not sure of all the consequences of that)?
Or change it to KVME_TYPE_VNODE
and deal with the below problem...
There is no useful documentation for the kern.proc. sysctls.
My word (and statements from other involved developers) could be
considered as close to the truth as it can be.
Somebody taking the efforts to document the stuff would make very
valuable contribution.

Ok. If I can get a solution figured, I'll plan to include some documentation updates.

This problem is somewhat important to me, so I'm going to do some additional digging and see if I can't come up with a solution that takes into account your notes.

Thanks for the help,
Eric