The i386 port, both 10-STABLE and 11-CURRENT, will not boot on systems without
SSE support.  This is caused by r273995, as using `svn merge -c -273995` (and
hacking-and-sloshing through the few compiler errors afterwards) makes it once
again bootable.

This crash happens very early on in boot, before even mi_startup (as the author
line is never even printed): http://i.imgur.com/SAty1mT.jpg

This breaks support for all i486, Pentium, Pentium Pro, and Pentium II-based
CPUs and computers.  These are not only found in older computers that are
useful as routers and file servers, but there are some new SoCs still using
these chips:

Intel Galileo board
Pentium core, no MMX/SSE whatsoever.  Released late 2014.

AMD Elan SC520, Geode series
While the Elan is no longer manufactured, it still remains popular.  The new
Geode LX series of processors only implement MMX (so are roughly equivalent to
a Pentium Pro in terms of instruction set).

Backing out r273995 allows boot to proceed normally, as shown here:

I attempted to revert locore.S to see if it was related to the stack setup
changes found in that commit and it made no difference; the panic was the same.

I would be willing to test any patches/diffs on any or all of the systems I
have, but unfortunately I'm in a bit over my head trying to figure out which
part of this commit is causing it.

Andrew Wilcox, C/C++/Python developer, kernel hacker
Blog:   http://blog.foxkit.us/  WWW: http://foxkit.us/
GitHub:  https://github.com/awilfox