There's no bikeshed to be had. Either the tool meets some specific
version / API requirement in order to be used how it's used, or
something has to be built in its place.

Since tools are now getting backported during a stable branch in order
to grow new features, we can't just assume "oh stable/10 cat will
always support these options". So, checking some version string to see
if the utility meets the requirements is fine. The only bikeshed I'd
introduce is having each tool take a --version style option to print
out its own "program API" version, so we can match on things as
appropriate. But BOOTSTRAPPING is fine.

-adrian