On 04/01/15 18:55, Eitan Adler wrote:
One of the key reasons for the lack of people is the high barrier of
entry to joining the FreeBSD project.  While every modern project uses
git (usually hosted on github), FreeBSD uses self-hosted subversion.
The use of git goes beyond just the choice of version control.  It
allows for workflows that FreeBSD can't even dream of.  The linux
kernel has no concept of a committer.  Instead anyone can clone the
git tree, build a kernel, and call themselves a Linux distribution.

Hi Eitan,

Before you speak so nicely about how Linux is doing things, have you ever tried to submit a patch to Linux yourself? I have a bunch of candidates in /usr/ports/multimedia/webcamd/work/webcamd-3.18.0.1/patches (Use this latest tarball: http://home.selasky.org:8192/distfiles/webcamd-4.0.0.2.tar.bz2) which you can start with as a fun experiment ! And then write back when your done. I'm starting counting right now.

I have ported a lot of Linux USB drivers to userspace in FreeBSD through the webcamd project, and quite frequently I need to make patches to make the code compile which really should be up-streamed. Sometimes I also find real bugs. Sending the patch to Linux-USB is easy. Getting attention to the patch is hard. Frequent roadblocks in the Linux-USB:
 - patch must be styled correctly
 - patch must be send using a certain e-mail program
 - patch must apply cleanly to the Linux GIT
 - patch must have a signed-off-by before it can be committed

Speaking about USB I don't want FreeBSD-USB to become what Linux-USB is. There are so many mails flowing into Linux-USB every day that no-one is caring to read it all. Getting a decent reply from someone can take months, because of the huge amount of e-mails.

--HPS