On 2015-Jul-08 12:22:03 -0700, Garrett Cooper <yaneurab...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jul 8, 2015, at 12:17, Doug Rabson <d...@rabson.org> wrote:
>
>> As far as I can tell, POSIX doesn't require either EFAULT or any other
>> behaviour - the text in http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/open/n4217.pdf
>> just says, "No errors are defined". Our man page is wrong and any real
>> program which relies on gettimeofday not faulting when given bad inputs is
>> broken.
>
>I would suggest the following:
>1. Document behavior in NOTES about gettimeofday returning EFAULT with the
>specific scenarios kib mentioned, segfaulting otherwise (wordsmithing the
>actual info of course). Otherwise, it might confuse people who look at the
>manpage later.

I would suggest adding a comment to intro(2) noting that not all functions
listed in section 2 are necessarily system calls and may report error
conditions (or maybe "perform argument validation") differently when
implemented in userland.

Note that the issues with gettimeofday() also apply to clock_gettime().

I'm not sure if we want to explicitly document the conditions under which
gettimeofday() (or clock_gettime()) are implemented in userland vs syscalls
because that is guaranteed to get stale over time.  How about stating that
these functions are implemented as syscalls only if the AT_TIMEKEEP value
reported by "procstat -x" is NULL.

--
Peter Jeremy