On 28 Jan 2016, at 17:45, NGie Cooper <yaneurab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, consider that you're going to be allowing upgrades from older RELEASE
> versions of the OS which might be using a fixed copy of pkgng -- how are you
> going to support that?

I believe that the plan is to promote the pkg tool somewhat closer to the base
system.  Upgrades will do the same sort of thing that they do currently for

1. First check if the version of pkg is the latest
2. If not, upgrade it
3. Do the real upgrade

The package for package is simply a tarball.  It may be advantageous to
separate the pkg and pkg-static binaries into different packages, so that pkg
can always install pkg-static and pkg-static can always update pkg.

There is no guarantee that the pkg tool from X.Y can install any packages from
X+n.Y.m other than the pkg-static binary, which can then upgrade the rest of
the system.

The provision of pkg-static prevents us from being in the situation that I
encountered trying to upgrade a Debian system (and ending up with a mess
requiring a full reinstall) where apt needed a newer glibc and the glibc
package needed a newer apt to install it.  We will always provide a pkg-static
for every supported branch that can be installed by any earlier version of pkg
(because it’s just extracting a single-file archive - and in the absolute worst
case you can do this by hand) and can install newer packages.