On Fri, 25 Mar 2016, Lundberg, Johannes wrote:

One problem is that most of these devices have only 32 bit UEFI which
FreeBSD does not support (except Intel Compute Stick which has 64 bit UEFI).

The MinnowBoard has both 32-bit and 64-bit UEFI. My Turbot came with 64-bit UEFI, and the FreeBSD amd64 UEFI install image works fine with it. This is an Atom E3826 board.

I use special built Grub to boot a 64 bit Arch Linux on this chip, maybe
same approach could be used to boot a 64 bit FreeBSD. However, you probably
won't be able to use the internal eMMC (if your device got it) since the
controller can not initiate mmc memory correctly. Work in progress here
though by me and Ilya.

On a side note,
it would though be nice to have 32 bit UEFI support on FreeBSD because that
would include support for Intel IoT boards like Galileo etc which are all
32 bit. Might be a lot of work though..

If any existing 32-bit Linux UEFI loader could be made to work with FreeBSD (possibly chainloading?), that would be better than nothing. I would like to have the opposite method also, having a 64-bit UEFI boot a 32-bit FreeBSD. (Why? So my run-on-anything 32-bit FreeBSD image could still work on any UEFI system.)