On Sat, 27 May 2000, Jake Burkholder wrote:

> > I got following kernel build error.
> > When I run 'make includes', the error has gone away.

`make includes' tends to cause errors like this.  It updates /usr/include
to match the sources.  This may make /usr/include inconsistent with
/usr/lib.

> > Why does kernel build process depend on installed system files,
> > such as /usr/include?
>
> It shouldn't.

Most parts of it shouldn't, but utilities should be compiled with the
installed headers that match the installed libraries.

> This seems to be primarily aic7xxx, although judging from the output

aicasm seems to be buill correctly, but it would be better for its
Makefile to not add -I/usr/include to CFLAGS, so that the default is
used.

Bruce