Relative to (Bryan Drewery Mon May 23 16:40:23 UTC 2016):

quoting from https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/300354 :

> This relies on the macros being incremented whenever any change occurs
> to these compilers that warrant rebuilding files.  It also should never
> repeat earlier values.

It appears that someone that tries to make or test clang patches without using
a committer bit to be the one updating the official source will have trouble
meeting this criteria. I've been in that situation in the past. Reverting back
to, say, CURRENT after a patch is adopted is another example of version number
progression problems.

It may be that official value updates to FREEBSD_CC_VERSION should be spaced
apart leaving versions available between official version numbers for such
local activities without version identification conflicts.

There are also projects such as the /project/clang*-import ones that might have
version number transition issues between it and CURRENT at various stages for
those working on the project and anyone that is just following the project
while it is active. I followed clang380-import and reported on some
powerpc64/powerpc/armv6 issues during the project so I've been in this
situation in the past.

It is not clear to me what the right things would have been to do and when to
do it if this FREEBSD_CC_VERSION criteria had been in place at the time.

Similar comments probably apply to FBSD_CC_VER and gcc/g++.

Is it as simple as "never use WITH_SYSTEM_COMPILER" for patch/update
explorations that are not yet official commits on CURRENT or STABLE? Does the
version number involved then matter?

===
Mark Millard
mar...@dsl-only.net