On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:08:57AM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:10:17PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
> > As I am sure you have already seen, there is an issue in 11.0-BETA1 that
> > has caused some headaches for people.
> > 
> >  https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=210884
> > 
> > The issue is actively being investigated, and despite the KBI freeze,
> > the fix may need to break KBI in stable/11, at least as far as I am
> > aware at the moment.
> > 
> > That said, 11.0-BETA2 may be delayed, while this is properly resolved.
> > If KBI is changed between 11.0-BETA1 and 11.0-BETA2, it will be noted in
> > the announcement.
> > 
> The latest patch for this issue seems promising so far, but for the sake
> of being cautious, 11.0-BETA2 is going to be delayed by a few days.  The
> rationale is that we want to see the affected machines survive uptime of
> at least 48 hours.
> At this point, we are looking at the fix being committed in just over
> one day, followed by the normal 3-day MFC timeframe.  If this changes,
> an update will be emailed.
> Apologies again for the delay with 11.0-BETA2, and thank you for your
> patience.

Hopefully the final update before 11.0-BETA2 is rolled, there have been
a number of commits, reverts, commits, reverts, etc., to the callout(9)
code recently.

What we think will be the final update to the TCP panic issue has been
committed as r303098, and numerous iterations of the final change tested
by Larry Rosenman (and thank you, Larry!).

Given the timeframe over which this change has been tested, the plan is
to merge r303098 to stable/11 tomorrow, and finally roll 11.0-BETA2,
provided none of our many "canaries" report issues in the meantime (and
thank you to those "canaries" for continuously testing!).

I am confident the testing is conclusive on resolving the issues.
I hope I am not wrong.

However, another issue has been brought to re@ attention, that could
potentially affect the ABI.  The details are still being investigated,
however this is not a blocker for BETA2 as it stands now.

The schedule on the website has intentionally not been updated yet, but
I hope to expect to kick the 11.0-BETA2 builds at 00:00 UTC July 22.

Again, thank you all for your patience, as the issues blocking BETA2 are
non-trivial, and after the final release is rolled, more difficult to

On behalf of:   re@

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to