​Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply.

Can I still use the same receiving function for sendmsg/send and tell what
kind of message is coming?
How would I tell if there is an fd attached or not?

Even if I set cmsg_level and cmsg_type it won't let me send it. The problem
is having a zero length attachment on freebsd....
I can't send -1 as fd because that errors to invalid file descriptor.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Alan Somers <asom...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Lundberg, Johannes
> <johan...@brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm porting a project to fbsd and I have problem with this part that
> works
> > in linux but not fbsd when fd = -1.
> >
> > https://github.com/Cloudef/wlc/blob/master/src/session/fd.c#L80-L108
> >
> > I get "invalid argument" from sendmsg() when setting CMSG_LEN(0).
> >
> > Anyone have a clue how to correctly do this on fbsd?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Johannes
> >
> It sounds like you're trying to send an empty cmsg.  The error may
> happen because your msg_controllen field is inconsistent with your
> cmsg_len field.  You're setting msg_controllen as if there were a full
> cmsg, but  then cmsg_len says that there is no cmsg.  Or maybe the
> error is because (just guessing) FreeBSD doesn't allow sending empty
> or undefined cmsgs.  Notice that cmsg_level and cmsg_type are
> undefined in the case where fd == -1.  POSIX doesn't say whether
> sendmsg supports empty cmsgs, but why bother?  You could just use send
> instead of sendmsg if you're not sending a file descriptor.
> -Alan

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information in this email is confidential
and intended solely for the addressee.
Disclosure, copying, distribution or any other action of use of this
email by person other than intended recipient, is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in
error, please destroy the original message.