On 6/08/2016 11:09 PM, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
On Sat, 6 Aug 2016, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 02:15:36PM +1000, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
On Friday,  5 August 2016 at 18:56:33 +0300, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
On 05.08.2016 18:44, Mark Martinec wrote:
On 2016-08-05 17:23, Andrey Chernov wrote:

POSIX does say that the default format should be the same
as with "+%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y".
It also says that %a and %b are locale's abbreviated names.
It is true for _POSIX_ locale only, as I already say. en_US.* is not
POSIX or C locale.
It still violates POLA.

I really do not think that it violates POLA fiven that the behaviour you are
expecting is still available in the default configurtion that is still POSIX.
Regardless, at a new major release is precisely when it is permissible to
break POLA.
switching from short form to long form is more than a POLA.. short form has a specific fixed layout
and feeding a long form string into it will break things.

Set LC_TIME to C and then you are back on your behaviour (and this is the
default when you install FreeBSD).

locales should be seen as tzdata for exemple, they are a moving target
complicated to handle for every locale we do support: 78 for 11.0-RELEASE and
193 if we do count the encoding variants. locales are updated very often (for
exemple cldr unicode make a new release of the data every 8 month or so)
As I understand it, your change will improve the maintainability of
locales in FreeBSD in the future, which justifies a POLA break at the
release boundary.

-Ben