On 06/10/2016 07:47, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Wednesday, October 05, 2016 a las 04:01:25PM +0300, Andriy Gapon
> escribió:
>
>> On 05/10/2016 14:19, Michael Gmelin wrote:
>>>
>>> ig4iic_start is called, but iicbus_hinted_child, isl_probe, iicbus_probe and
>>> iicbus_attach are not.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Now I think I see where I made a silly mistake.
>> Please try an updated version of the patch from here
>> https://people.freebsd.org/~avg/ig4-i2c.v3.diff
>> It contains a fix and some cosmetic changes on top of the previous patch.
>
> Hi Andriy,
>
> I have an Acer C720 too, since around two years and it works fine,
> thanks to Michael, with the cyapa chip. I have my C720 in daily heavy
> usage, actually with r292778. Should I apply the above patch or do I
> need to update before to a more recent CURRENT?

I think that the patch should apply.
But if it doesn't...

> I have a second C720
> where I could do such test/update more easy, but this is current not in
> my hands and has, after a repair at Acer, a Elan touch pad.
> But I could prepare an USB key with 12-CURRENT, just for test.

The more testing the better!

> Btw: What is the reason for this change of ig4/i2c/cyapa driver?

The reason is that the hardware that ig4 handles is really an I2C controller.
Moreover, isl and cyapa need to issue I2C commands that can not be mapped to
SMBus commands to talk to their hardware.
I am not sure why Matt Dillon (who I believe is the original author of the code)
chose to use smbus(4) instead of iicbus(4).  And to make that work he had to
"extend" smbus(4) with smbus_trans() method which does not really map to
anything defined by the SMBus specification and which can not be implemented on
any of real pure SMBus controllers (like intpm or ichsmb).  The closest command
that SMBus supports is 'Block write - block read process call', but it's not
quite the same.

> Last thing: I propose to remove freebsd-mobile@ from the thread.

Okay.  I just was not sure where I can find FreeBSD Chromebook owners.

--
Andriy Gapon