On 03/30/2017 14:30, Pete Wright wrote:

On 03/30/2017 14:26, Dimitry Andric wrote:
On 30 Mar 2017, at 20:18, Pete Wright <p...@nomadlogic.org> wrote:
Hello,
I have a new Kabylake based Intel laptop running CURRENT (well
drm-next).  Everything has "just worked" so far except audio. Here is
the output of /dev/sndstat:

$ cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Realtek (0x0225) (Analog)> (play/rec) default
pcm1: <Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
No devices installed from userspace.

I am unable to get audio output on the laptop's speakers using the
Analog device at pcm0, I was wondering if this was due to the Realtek
device not being recognized?  I would expect the model number or
something similar as opposed to "0x0225".  Here's the output of
pciconf for reference:

$ pciconf -lv

Hmm, that output didn't contain any Realtek device?  What does dmesg
say about the pcm devices?  Also, can you get any sound via pcm1?

yea i thought that was odd as well. here's what i think is relevant from my dmesg buffer:

$ dmesg|grep hdaa
hdaa0: <Realtek (0x0225) Audio Function Group> at nid 1 on hdacc0
pcm0: <Realtek (0x0225) (Analog)> at nid 33 and 18 on hdaa0
hdaa1: <Intel Kabylake Audio Function Group> at nid 1 on hdacc1
pcm1: <Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> at nid 3 on hdaa1

i have not attempted to output audio via pcm1 via an HDMI connected panel - but I can test that tonight. using pcm1 does *not* work with the headphone jack or laptop speakers but i think that's expected.

hrm no luck with HDMI either.  FWIW this is the specific chipset:

Realtek ALC3253

I grep'd through the source tree and didn't see any references to this chipset, I suspect this is a new driver/codec that needs to be created or imported? It looks like linux only added support with the 4.11 kernel...

Cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright