Shawn Webb shawn.webb at wrote on
Sat Jul 22 15:33:14 UTC 2017 :

> I haven't nailed down whether it's SafeStack, CFI, or using lld as the
> default linker, but it looks like we in HardenedBSD are getting an
> undefined symbol during buildworld.

In an amd64 -> TARGET_ARCH=powerpc64 cross build context
for FreeBSD -r321371 I got a similar report for the:

/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin/ld: error: undefined symbol:
>>> referenced by
>>> /usr/src/contrib/llvm/tools/lldb/source/Plugins/Language/ObjC/Cocoa.cpp
>>> Cocoa.o:(lldb_private::formatters::NSNumberSummaryProvider(lldb_private::ValueObject&,
>>>  lldb_private::Stream&, lldb_private::TypeSummaryOptions const&)) in
>>> archive /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/clang/liblldb/liblldb.a

part of your report (logfile). The context used
devel/powerpc64-binutils :

# /usr/local/powerpc64-freebsd/bin/ld --version
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.28
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.

(lld is not yet  working option for powerpc64 as
far as I know.)

For this part of your report I doubt that anything
that you listed is required for the problem to happen.

In my context the error text was:

--- lldb.full ---
 In function
lldb_private::Stream&, lldb_private::TypeSummaryOptions const&)':
 undefined reference to `lldb_private::AppleObjCRuntime::GetFoundationVersion()'

Mark Millard
markmi at