Has anyone using freeBSD ever increased NAME_MAX (filename maximum length) and have any experience with it?

We ($JOB) would recompile the entire system so intra-system compatibility would probably be ok, and we have our own filesystem which would support it.

But I wonder if anyone has tried it and hit unexpected problems.

reason:  Chinese and Japanese people who have gotten into the habit of having a filename of 256 CHINESE/JAPANESE characters in Microsoft and want to store their files on a FreeBSD based server witout having to rename everything. (3 bytes for each of those characters giving a limit of 83 characters).

(though since each character is a word the names if I could read them must be amazing)

NFS behaviour is one issue I don't know but would be interested in..  could we SERVE such files?

Julian