On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Julian Elischer <jul...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> maybe we could get it into -current.
> It'd be silly to have to have people re-inventing hte wheel all the time.
> How about you put those changes into the reviews.freebsd.org and we can get
> some general consensus on them.
> We'll have to do similar for the Asian customers and anyone who uses UTF-8.
> So it
> would be silly to have to develop it all again (but subtly different of
> The key issue is how many system calls and other APIs would be broken,
> and how many would be broken in a non backwards compatible way?
> We would need it in a stable/10 and 11 branch but if the patch is isolated
> enough we could carry it forward until we get to 12.
> One has to allow people to do whatever they are used to with Windows.
> And in this case the issue is serving files over samba to windows machines.
I've thrown the patch up at https://reviews.freebsd.org/D12330 . I
haven't actually tested it on FreeBSD, but it does compile. We also
have some patches against contrib/pjdfstest to fix those tests against
long file names, but I think we can hold off on those changes until
we've nailed down what the architectural change will be (if any).
It's quite possible this accidentally breaks even more APIs than
expected and we should do some fine tuning to reduce the damage. Our
$WORK product mostly doesn't care about ABI, so we may not have
noticed some ABI breakage.
If anyone else is interested, please subscribe or add yourself as a
reviewer on the phabricator revision.
firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscr...@freebsd.org"