On 12 Sep 2017, at 14:38, Julian Elischer wrote:

(I have no idea what that says but apparently it's a real filename from a windows machine that blew up when written via samba.)

Google Translate says, amusingly:
"This is a test file for the length of the file name. The purpose is to name a file in Chinese or Japanese or Korean characters and require the character to be longer than 85 characters and then copy the file into our shared folder to see if it can copy the file To me" (.txt, I guess)

No matter what number you choose for a path length, you're never going to win against that specific user. :)

Jonathan Anderson