On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 8:50 PM, Jon Brawn <j...@brawn.org> wrote:
> Wotcha!
>
> I work for Arm for my sins, and in my spare time I’ve been playing with
> FreeBSD. In my day job I work with the CPU core validation team, and one of
> the things we do is take the hardware design of a new core and run it on a
> machine called an emulator. This emulator isn’t the same thing as QEMU, nor
> is it just an FPGA, it’s something in the middle - you compile the hardware
> design and download it to the emulator, and it can then run programs on your
> design at about 1MHz. Which is lovely. Our main bread and butter is to take
> such a design and get it to boot Arm Linux, a very cut down version, and then
> run some tests hosted in the Linux environment. These tests would typically
> thrash the snot out of some particular aspect of the architecture, such as
> memory sharing amongst multiple processor cores. Now, we would like to use
> other operating systems that behave differently to Linux, there are some
> obvious candidates that I’m not going to talk about for legal reasons, but
> one that was suggested was using FreeBSD under emulation.
>
> So, what is needed is someway of telling the operating system that it is
> going to use a ram disk for its root filesystem, and that the ram disk is
> going to be at a fixed physical address in the memory map. That way we can
> pre-load root from a file in the emulation environment. In the Linux
> environment we would package the kernel, it’s DRB and the root filesystem
> memory image inside a light-weight bootloader wrapper, load that at the right
> offset into the emulator’s memory map, and twang the virtual reset line of
> the emulated processor. There’s some magic jiggery pokery to get console
> output from what the OS thinks is an AMBA UART, but that’s about size of it.
>
> So, what does FreeBSD have to offer in the way of ramdisk functionality?
>
> Jon.

Cool project!  There is something called MFSBSD which is basically
exactly what you want.  It creates a small ramdisk and boots from
that.  It's often used for stuff like booting from PXE, CD, or USB.  I
don't know if you can force it to be located at a specific memory
address, though.  It's normally used in combination with a bootloader.

http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/

-Alan