On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 01:39:11PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 09:49:16AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 04:40:22 PM Glen Barber wrote:
> > > First, mdconfig(8) is used to create a md(4)-backed disk, onto which
> > > newfs(8) is run, followed by the installworld/installkernel targets.
> > >
> > > Next, mkimg(1) is used to feed the resultant md(4)-based <format>.img
> > > filesystem (after umount(8)) to create the final output image.
> >
> > Hmm, so I suspect you are using an older kernel, but I wonder if you are
> > also
> > using an older newfs or a newer newfs?  If the newfs is the same as as the
> > running kernel, then this means that upgrading from a pre-cg-sum kernel to a
> > cg-sum kernel will have similar issues.
> >
> I'm somewhat confused by the suggested timestamp this was composed/sent
> and our out-of-band conversation, but the images are created with the
> new newfs(8) creating the target filesystem.

Ok, I've confirmed upgrading the builder now produces VM images that do
not exhibit this behavior (though, I'm still puzzled why I did not
notice the errors earlier).

I've removed the broken VM images from the mirrors, which the removal
may still be propagating.  New VM images should be available tomorrow.