On Thu, 02 Nov 2017 13:08:49 +0200, Toomas Soome wrote:

With r325310, the UEFI boot with CURRENT should be ok with >512B sectors. The
BIOS part is still work in the process.

I can confirm that I'm now able to boot my Macbook Pro with 4K SSD.

On 4 Oct 2017, at 19:32, Allan Jude <allanj...@freebsd.org> wrote:

On 2017-10-04 05:27, Thomas Mueller wrote:
from Allan Jude:

Anyone has any recommendations or experience about how to use native 4K
disks with FreeBSD?

--HPS

It is not possible in legacy/BIOS mode, because the BIOS calls do not
let you specify a sector size.

However, you SHOULD be able to boot from the 4k device using UEFI.
I am trying to debug a problem I am having with this on my new Mac,
which has a 4k NVMe disk.

I've been trying to figure how to boot a FreeBSD system with UEFI as opposed to
BIOS-style.

I read the documentation, but want to boot a partition that might not be the
first BSD partition on the hard disk.

For instance, some UFS partitions might have a NetBSD installation, a different
FreeBSD installation, or no OS installation.

I read the man page (uefi) and looked at the files in /boot; have an EFI
partition set up with more than enough space.

I would also want to be able to boot other UEFI-capable OSes including Linux,
NetBSD (if that works), and Haiku when and if possible.

Tom

In this case, You likely want to install a tool like rEFInd, which will
draw a menu of all of the installed OSes and let you pick.

I use this in two of my laptops, one dual boots freebsd and windows, and
the other OS X and FreeBSD on my macbook pro