YongHyeon PYUN wrote:
On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 10:13:15AM -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
Posted this 10/31/2017  got no reply.

Been getting these error messages since about release 10.0 I think.
Have changed to new hardware box and new cable modem and still having
the same error messages. Also occurs when I use em0 interface to connect to the public internet instead of vge0.

vge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
        metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=389b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,
        WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
        ether 00:0b:db:19:33:18
        hwaddr 10:00:60:21:00:93
        inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 0xfffff000
        broadcast 255.255.255.255
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,master>)
        status: active

Oct 30 23:43:38 fbsd kernel: vge0: watchdog timeout
Oct 30 23:43:38 fbsd kernel: vge0: link state changed to DOWN
Oct 30 23:43:42 fbsd kernel: vge0: link state changed to UP

11/2/2017 posting this now as a update

I have continued to research this problem.
The "man watchdog" says that the command,
watchdog -d  will provide debugging info, and
watchdog -t  will set a new timeout timer value

When I issue either of those commands I get this error message
watchdog: patting the dog: Operation not supported

The man page also says a value of -t 0  disables the watchdog function.

Issuing "watchdog -t 0" does not get that above error message, but the watchdog function is still enabled because I am still getting the

 kernel: vge0: watchdog timeout
 kernel: vge0: link state changed to DOWN
 kernel: vge0: link state changed to UP

messages.

For the archives.

After a lot of trial and error testing finally determined the cause of this problem is ddclient. When I disable ddclient from running those messages stop happening.

ddclient is a dynamic DNS auto updater written in perl. I have now deinstalled ddclient and written my own dynamic DNS auto updater sh script that I am calling dynip with intention to add it to the port system later.