Warner Losh [i...@bsdimp.com] wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Thomas Laus <lau...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded my FreeBSD-Current system today and did not fully
> > understand the impact of changes to loader.conf.  My system has a Geli
> > encrypted ZFS pool.  In the past whenever I screwed up, I was able to
> > use 'Beadm' into boot the most recent good kernel or enter a shell to
> > reread the UPDATING notes for a clearer understanding of what needs to
> > be done before rebooting.
> >
> > Is my system recoverable or does it require wiping and reloading from a
> > snapshot?  If it is recoverable, how to do?
> >

> My changes to the system hasn't changed how things work. Or at least
> shouldn't have changed anything. If they do, that's likely a bug, and
> likely my fault.
>
> The one exception is if you're booting off GELI + ZFS with UEFI based on
> boot1.efi changes that were in the tree for a few days...

This PC is not using UEFI to boot.  After booting I get the following
message:

gptzfsboot: No ZFS pools located; Cant't boot

That is as far as things go.  I read the UPDATING file before I
builtworld and built a kernel.  This was the first boot after doing an
installworld and performing mergemaster and then copying the
/boot/gptzfsboot file to ada0p1 and ada1p1.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1