On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 14:39-0600, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> Upgraded to:
>
> FreeBSD borg.lerctr.org 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #11 r330385: Sun
> Mar  4 12:48:52 CST 2018
> r...@borg.lerctr.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/VT-LER  amd64
> +1200060 1200060
>
> Yesterday, and I'm seeing really strange slowness, ARC use, and SWAP use and
> swapping.
>
> See http://www.lerctr.org/~ler/FreeBSD/Swapuse.png

I see these symptoms on stable/11. One of my servers has 32 GiB of
RAM. After a reboot all is well. ARC starts to fill up, and I still
have more than half of the memory available for user processes.

After running the periodic jobs at night, the amount of wired memory
goes sky high. /etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate is a particular nasty
one.

Limiting the ARC to, say, 16 GiB, has no effect of the high amount of
wired memory. After a few more days, the kernel consumes virtually all
memory, forcing processes in and out of the swap device.

stable/10 never exhibited these symptoms, even with ZFS.

I had hoped the kernel would manage its memory usage more wisely, but
maybe it's time to set some hard limits on the kernel.

Last year, I experienced deadlocks on stable/11 systems running ZFS
with only 1 GiB of RAM. periodic(8) and clang jobs would never be
rescheduled, they just sat there doing nothing halfway through their
mission and with most of their pages on the swap device. I was lucky
enough to be able to log in and reboot the damned servers. I installed
8 GiB of memory in each server and I never saw any deadlocks since.

Maybe we should try and help by run (virtual) machines with low
amounts of memory and high loads to weed out these bugs, if they still
persist.

--
Trond.