Am 02.04.18 um 00:18 schrieb Stefan Esser:
> Am 01.04.18 um 18:33 schrieb Warner Losh:
>> On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Stefan Esser <s...@freebsd.org
>> <mailto:s...@freebsd.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     My i7-2600K based system with 24 GB RAM was in the midst of a buildworld
>> -j8
>>     (starting from a clean state) which caused a load average of 12 for more
>> than
>>     1 hour, when I decided to move a directory structure holding some 10 GB
>> to its
>>     own ZFS file system. File sizes varied, but were mostly in the range 0f
>> 500KB.
>>
>>     I had just thrown away /usr/obj, but /usr/src was cached in ARC and thus
>> there
>>     was nearly no disk activity caused by the buildworld.
>>
>>     The copying proceeded at a rate of at most 10 MB/s, but most of the time
>> less
>>     than 100 KB/s were transferred. The "cp" process had a PRIO of 20 and
>> thus a
>>     much better priority than the compute bound compiler processes, but it
>> got
>>     just 0.2% to 0.5% of 1 CPU core. Apparently, the copy process was
>> scheduled
>>     at such a low rate, that it only managed to issue a few controller
>> writes per
>>     second.
>>
>>     The system is healthy and does not show any problems or anomalies under
>>     normal use (e.g., file copies are fast, without the high compute load).
>>
>>     This was with SCHED_ULE on a -CURRENT without WITNESS or malloc
>> debugging.
>>
>>     Is this a regression in -CURRENT?
>>
>> Does 'sync' push a lot of I/O to the disk?
>
> Each sync takes 0.7 to 1.5 seconds to complete, but since reading is so
> slow, not much is written.
>
> Normal gstat output for the 3 drives the RAIDZ1 consists of:
>
> dT: 1.002s  w: 1.000s
>  L(q)  ops/s    r/s   kBps   ms/r    w/s   kBps   ms/w   %busy Name
>     0      2      2     84   39.1      0      0    0.0    7.8  ada0
>     0      4      4     92   66.6      0      0    0.0   26.6  ada1
>     0      6      6    259   66.9      0      0    0.0   36.2  ada3
> dT: 1.058s  w: 1.000s
>  L(q)  ops/s    r/s   kBps   ms/r    w/s   kBps   ms/w   %busy Name
>     0      1      1     60   70.6      0      0    0.0    6.7  ada0
>     0      3      3     68   71.3      0      0    0.0   20.2  ada1
>     0      6      6    242   65.5      0      0    0.0   28.8  ada3
> dT: 1.002s  w: 1.000s
>  L(q)  ops/s    r/s   kBps   ms/r    w/s   kBps   ms/w   %busy Name
>     0      5      5    192   44.8      0      0    0.0   22.4  ada0
>     0      6      6    160   61.9      0      0    0.0   26.5  ada1
>     0      6      6    172   43.7      0      0    0.0   26.2  ada3
>
> This includes the copy process and the reads caused by "make -j 8 world"
> (but I assume that all the source files are already cached in ARC).

I have identified the cause of the extremely low I/O performance (2 to 6 read
operations scheduled per second).

The default value of kern.sched.preempt_thresh=0 does not give any CPU to the
I/O bound process unless a (long) time slice expires (kern.sched.quantum=94488
on my system with HZ=1000) or one of the CPU bound processes voluntarily gives
up the CPU (or exits).

Any non-zero value of preemt_thresh lets the system perform I/O in parallel
with the CPU bound processes, again.

I'm not sure about the bias relative to the PRI values displayed by top, but
for me a process with PRI above 72 (in top) should be eligible for preemption.

What value of preempt_thresh should I use to get that behavior?

And, more important: Is preempt_thresh=0 a reasonable default???

This prevents I/O bound processes from making reasonable progress if all CPU
cores/threads are busy. In my case, performance dropped from > 10 MB/s to just
a few hundred KB per second, i.e. by a factor of 30. (The %busy values in my
previous mail are misleading: At 10 MB/s the disk was about 70% busy ...)

Should preempt_thresh be set to some (possibly high, to only preempt long
running processes) value?

Regards, STefan