Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 11:30:55PM +0000, Rick Macklem wrote:
>> Konstantin Belousov wrote:

So, now that I have decreased the number of nfsd kernel threads to 32, it works
with both schedulers and with essentially the same performance. (ie. The 30%
performance degradation has disappeared.)

>> >This is strange.  It usually means that you get KVA either exhausted or
>> >severly fragmented.
>> Yes. I reduced the number of nfsd threads from 256->32 and the SCHED_ULE
>> kernel is working ok now. I haven't done enough to compare performance yet.
>> Maybe I'll post again when I have some numbers.
>>
>> >Enter ddb, it should be operational since pings are replied.  Try to see
>> >where the threads are stuck.
>> I didn't do this, since reducing the number of kernel threads seems to have
>> fixed
>> the problem. For the pNFS server, the nfsd threads will spawn additional
>> kernel
>> threads to do proxies to the mirrored DS servers.

>> >There are at least two potentially relevant changes.
>> >
>> >First is r326758 Dec 11 which bumped KSTACK_PAGES on i386 to 4.
>> I've been running this machine with KSTACK_PAGES=4 for some time, so no
>> change.
W.r.t. Rodney Grimes comments about this (which didn't end up in this messages
in the thread):
I didn't see any instability when using KSTACK_PAGES=4 for this until this
cropped
up and seemed to be scheduler related (but not really, it seems).
I bumped it to KSTACK_PAGES=4 because I needed that for the pNFS Metadata
Server code.

Yes, NFS does use quite a bit of kernel stack. Unfortunately, it isn't one big
item getting allocated on the stack, but many moderate sized ones.
(A part of it is multiple instances of "struct vattr", some buried in "struct
nfsvattr",
 that NFS needs to use. I don't think these are large enough to justify
malloc/free,
 but it has to use several of them.)

One case I did try fixing was about 6 cases where "struct nfsstate" ended up on
the stack. I changes the code to malloc/free them and then when testing, to
my surprise I had a 20% performance hit and shelved the patch.
Now that I know that the server was running near its limit, I might try this one
again, to see if the performance hit doesn't occur when the machine has adequate
memory. If the performance hit goes away, I could commit this, but it wouldn't
have that much effect on the kstack usage. (It's interesting how this patch
ended
up related to the issue this thread discussed.)

>> >Second is r332489 Apr 13, which introduced 4/4G KVA/UVA split.
>> Could this change have resulted in the system being able to allocate fewer
>> kernel threads/stacks for some reason?
>Well, it could, as anything can be buggy. But the intent of the change
>was to give 4G KVA, and it did.
Righto. No concern here. I suspect the Dec. 2017 kernel was close to the limit
(see performance issue that went away, noted above) and any change could
have pushed it across the line, I think.

>> >Consequences of the first one are obvious, it is much harder to find
>> >the place to map the stack.  Second change, on the other hand, provides
>> >almost full 4G for KVA and should have mostly compensate for the negative
>> >effects of the first.
>> >
>> >And, I cannot see how changing the scheduler would fix or even affect that
>> >behaviour.
>> My hunch is that the system was running near its limit for kernel
>> threads/stacks.
>> Then, somehow, the timing SCHED_ULE caused resulted in the nfsd trying to get
>> to a higher peak number of threads and hit the limit.
>> SCHED_4BSD happened to result in timing such that it stayed just below the
>> limit and worked.
>> I can think of a couple of things that might affect this:
>> 1 - If SCHED_ULE doesn't do the termination of kernel threads as quickly,
>> then
>>       they wouldn't terminate and release their resources before more new
>> ones
>>       are spawned.
>Scheduler has nothing to do with the threads termination.  It might
>select running threads in a way that causes the undesired pattern to
>appear which might create some amount of backlog for termination, but
>I doubt it.
>
>> 2 - If SCHED_ULE handles the nfsd threads in a more "bursty" way, then the
>> burst
>>       could try and spawn more mirror DS worker threads at about the same
>> time.
>>
>> Anyhow, thanks for the help, rick

Have a good day, rick