[ Cross posted to freebsd-current@ and freebsd-x11@. Please respect reply-to and send all replies to freebsd-x11@. Thanks! ]

Hi!
I propose that we remove the old drm2 driver (sys/dev/drm2) from FreeBSD. I suggest the driver is marked as deprecated in 11.x and removed from 12.0, as was done for other drivers recently. Some background and rationale:

The drm2 driver was the original port of a KMS driver to FreeBSD. It was done by Konstantin Belousov to support Intel graphics cards, and later extended by Jean-Sébastien Pédron as well as Konstantin to match what's in Linux 3.8. This included unstable support from Haswell, but nothing newer than that.

For quite some time now we have had the graphics/drm-stable-kmod and graphics/drm-next-kmods which provides support for modern AMD and Intel graphics cards. These ports, together with the linuxkpi, or lkpi, has made it significantly easier to port and update our graphics drivers. Further, these new drivers cover the same drivers as the old drm2 driver.

What does the community think? Is there anyone still using the drm2 driver on 12-CURRENT? If so, what is preventing you from switching to the port?

Thank you
Regards
--
Niclas Zeising