> On 8/22/18 8:37 PM, Mark Millard wrote:
> > I'm just using this move as an example for some more
> > general questions.
> >
> > After this change when I look at:
> >
> > https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=devfs.conf&apropos=0&sektion=5&manpath=FreeBSD+12-current&arch=default&format=html
> >
> > I see in the man page:
> >
> > FILES
> >      /etc/devfs.conf
> >      /usr/share/examples/etc/devfs.conf
> >
> > So . . .
> >
> > Roughly when are the "FreeBSD+12-current" man pages going to
> > track the moves? Once everything has been moved?
> >
> > Are the examples also going to be moved/reorganized? Similar
> > timing question to the above (if yes).
>
> The installed location of the files doesn't change, only their location
> in the source tree.  It does seem that share/examples has not been
> handled to date, as they probably belong in the same package as the thing
> they are samples of.
>
> I really wish that the Makefiles were smart enough to use .PATH or
> some such to reach over into ${SRCTOP}/etc to find the files without
> requiring them to actually move in the tree since it's not very
> intuitive where to find many of these files now.  (And the source
> locations are starting to no longer mimic the layout on the host,
> such as syslog.d being "flattened".)

I believe it would of been possible, and not too much work,
to leave all of it in ${SRCTOP}/etc by adding CONF-foo:
targets that did the write things with variable settings
and calling make ${SRCTOP}/etc/Makefile CONF-foo from the
respective utilities.

I also believe that certain of these files just belong in
a pkg called etc, these are the files that are always needed
for a functional system, like services (ok, if you remove
all networking you do not need that one, but it clearly
does not belong with the option services_mkdb that simply
makes /var/db/services.db.)  Anyway, any files that got
moved into libc are always going to be installed, correct?
I do not believe you can make a running system without
libc, so why move them?  Do we support a static link anymore?

But when brd was asked what his plans where we got very
little feedback, and now, what I feel is a poorly thought
out implementation.

By paint is blue.. always blue...

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgri...@freebsd.org