Quoting Mark Johnston <ma...@freebsd.org> (from Tue, 28 Aug 2018 10:48:42 -0400):

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 10:25:39AM -0400, Allan Jude wrote:
On 2018-08-28 02:40, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> top reports missing sysctl kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.other_size for
> 12.0-alpha3 with a top from an old-ish -current.
>
> Is/will this be handled via a compat-11 sysctl (my kernel is without
> compat-xx), or did this slip through?

That is not something that a compat-xx package can handle.

s/package/kernel option/?

Sorry, the COMPAT_FREEBSDx kernel options was what I had in mind when I wrote this.

That arcstat was broken up into 3 individual stats, which the
12.0-alpha3 version of top will sum together for you.

I don't think we've had compat shims like this for previous versions of
top, I recall having similar issues when the 'laundry' counter was
introduced.

IIRC that would have been the inverted case of running a newer top(1)
with an older kernel lacking the v_laundry_pages sysctl.  In general I'd
expect us to support running an older top(1) with newer kernels if we
don't have to bend over backwards to provide compatibility.

If the new top is summing the 3 up anyway, it sounds like we could provide the old one as backwards compatibility, even if it is redundant. I rather have an redundant counter and an old top working (in the generic case of what we promise to our users; in this specific case for me I just need to get around to update the jails on the corresponding systems), than bailing out without displaying anything.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net alexan...@leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF