On 06/10/2018 06:14, Graham Perrin wrote:

> … My sense of things earlier this morning:
> - without a load of radeonkms.ko it is impossible to get a (visible, 
> multi-user) command line
> – and so, it's impossible to proceed to manually load any additional module.

A subsequent test result was thought-provoking.

With lines in rc.conf commented out – to neither auto-load radeonkms.ko nor 
auto-start sddm – I got:

- a command line that _was_ visible, but illegible (torn)

So I _blindly_ keyed:

kldload radeonkms.ko

Then I _might_ have got a successful suspend and resume, but there was a 
show-stopper: sddm with the manually loaded radeonkms.ko was unusable.


The result of:

service sddm onestart

– was repetitive flashing with repetition of lines, maybe the same two lines 
that were shown in 2015 bug <https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/390>:

/usr/local/bin/xauth: (stdin):1:  bad "remove" command line
/usr/local/bin/xauth: (stdin):2:  bad "add" command line

Once, the repetition ended in response to a single Control-C.

Then, the repetition continued until after I _held_ the Control-C combination 
for a while.

Then, the repetition seemed endless; no matter how long I held Control-C, I 
could not regain a usable command line. It was necessary to 
(Control-Alt-Delete) restart the system.

If it helps: the issue with (or affecting) xauth might have been first observed 
yesterday morning, Friday, a few hours _before_ I updated to r339186. Maybe 
after a relatively simple `pkg upgrade` routine.

Housekeeping, after the experiment

I removed the comments marks # from
rc.conf to regain automated load and start of
radeonkms.ko and sddm.
freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscr...@freebsd.org"

Reply via email to