In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> FUJISHIMA Satsuki writes:
: Please take a look into ports/18489.
: Workaround for i386 has been committed at 14th May but not for Alpha.
: I think you are on the Alpha plathome, or your ports tree is weirdly
: out of date.

Everything is up to date.  The kernel, my ports tree, userland.  I
still get this problem after updating to today's kernel/userland.
Yes, ldconfig has been branded. has been branded.  acroread
(the binary that acroread4 runs, verified).  I've enabled linux in the
boot script (and verified that it runs).

Any ideas about how I should go about debugging this?  I need my
acroread4 :-).