Kris Kennaway wrote:
> If anyone has done a make world within the past few days you should remove
> your libftpio.6 since the version bump was made in error. It's now back to
> libftpio.5.

It actually does not matter.  Which major version new programs are linked
against is controlled by which file the symlinks point to.

peter@t8000[6:01pm]/usr/lib-113> ls -l*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     13 Jun 28 12:49 ->
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  14680 Jun 10 20:14
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  17244 Jun  5 19:43

-lftpio will follow the symlink, and read the headers in

8000# objdump --all-headers /usr/lib/ | grep SONAME

As a result, all programs linked with '-lftpio' will end up linking against explicitly.

This is *not* the same as the a.out behavior which searched directories to
find the largest number.  ELF uses the symlinks and no searching, which is
why ld and is faster when locating directories and does not need
ldconfig or the