> Hey,
>
> I would like to propose removal of  sbin/routed and usr.sbin/route6d.

I disagree with removal, as your analysis is flawed.

> routed(8) is the daemon implementing RIPv2 routing protocol.
> route6d(8) is the daemon implementing RIPng routing protocol for IPv6.
>
> RIP [1] was one of the first  protocols used in the networking. The first
> version was implemented back in 1982.

RIPv1 was implemented in 1982, RIPv2 became RFC2453 in November 1998, and is a
current and valid IETF standard, STD56.
It was updated by RFC4822 in February 2007.

> 1. Network landscape has changed since then. BGP, OSPF, IS-ISIS and other
> routing protocols have been created and greatly improved over years. People
> have created and adopted numerous designs leveraging OSPF/ISIS or BGP.
> RIP became obsolete a while ago as there were no competitive advantage it can
> offer.

> "It is the oldest routing protocol used by the network industry and is
> considered by many to be inefficient or border-line obsolete." ? [2], 2009
RIPv2 is not obosolete, and your reference is not authoritave on what is or is
not an obsolete network protocol.
I know of people using RIPv2 in networks.

> "Today, the only reason you might run across a network running RIPv2 is
> either that the network is very old and in serious need of an upgrade or the
> network is running cheaper, consumer-grade routing hardware that can only
> support RIP" ? [3], 2016.

Or there simply is no need for anything more complicated.  RipV2 is a very
simple protocol and works fine for small networks in many settings.

> 1.1. Nowadays the daemon name is simply misleading. Given situation described
> above, one does expect far wider functionality from the program named
> "route[6]d" than just  RIP implementation.

I'll agree the name is missleading, so change it, but removal on your false
basis is not.

> 2. Multiple routing stacks supporting all major routing protocol including
> RIP exists these days: bird, frr, quagga. Many BGP-only designs in are
> gaining popularity, so do bgp speakers such as exabgp or gobgp.  Nowadays, if
> one needs dynamic routing on the host, OSPF or BGP speaker is the choice.
> FreeBSD packages contains well-maintained ports for these. Having RIP[ng]
> speakers in base offers no advantage.

Routing stacks?  You mean routing daemons?  Forcing users to install bir, frr
or quagga when all they need, or have been using for a long time is in base
ripv2 is not good for users.

> 3. Both routed/route6d are largely unmaintained [4] and presents an
> additional attack vector. Here is the list of last non-trivial commits to
> routed/route6d:

Whats unmaintained about code that has no need to change cause it just pretty
much works?

Rod Grimes                                                 rgri...@freebsd.org