On 29/03/21 06:26, Greg Rivers wrote:
On Sunday, 28 March 2021 20:37:13 CDT David G Lawrence via freebsd-current
wrote:
On 27/03/21 06:04, David G Lawrence via freebsd-current wrote:
On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 1:01 PM Graham Perrin <grahamper...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On 26/03/2021 03:40, The Doctor via freebsd-current wrote:
??? if people are having issues with ports like ???

If I'm not mistaken:

* 13.0-RC3 seems to be troublesome, as a guest machine, with
emulators/virtualbox-ose 6.1.18 as the host

* no such trouble with 12.0-RELEASE-p5 as a guest.

I hope to refine the bug report this weekend.

Had nothing but frequent guest lockups on 6.1.18 with my Win7 system.
That
was right after 6.1.18 was put into ports. Fell back to legacy (v5) and
will try again shortly to see if it's any better.

Kevin,

?????? Make sure you have these options in your /etc/sysctl.conf :

vfs.aio.max_buf_aio=8192
vfs.aio.max_aio_queue_per_proc=65536
vfs.aio.max_aio_per_proc=8192
vfs.aio.max_aio_queue=65536

?????? ...otherwise the guest I/O will random hang in VirtualBox. This
issue was
mitigated in a late 5.x VirtualBox by patching to not use AIO, but the
issue
came back in 6.x when that patch wasn't carried forward.

Sorry I lost that patch. Can you point me to the patch? Maybe it can be
easily ported.

I found the relevant commit. Please give me some time for testing and
I'll put this patch back in the tree.

    If you're going to put that patch back in, then AIO should probably be
made an option in the port config, as shutting AIO off by default will
have a significant performance impact. Without AIO, all guest IO will
be become synchronous.
    Ideally, someone would fix the AIO case by either increasing the defaults
in FreeBSD to something reasonable, and/or properly handing the case when
an AIO limit is reached.

Agreed, it would be a shame to have AIO disabled by default. A one time update
to sysctl.conf (per the existing pkg message!) is a small price to pay for much
better performance.

Good point. Now the question is, what the default should be. Since the correct aio configuration is in the pkg-message and easy to setup I'd go for default to AIO turned on.

I Have a few things on he pope with ports, I will need some days to work this out.

--
Guido Falsi <m...@madpilot.net>