> On 21. Feb 2022, at 09:43, Hans Petter Selasky <h...@selasky.org> wrote:
>
> FYI:
>
> After a lot of digging trying everything, I found that the pxeboot and
> loader.efi was too big simply due to ZFS support.
>
> So I did this after buildworld:
>
> cd /usr/src/stand
> make WITHOUT_LOADER_ZFS=YES clean
> make WITHOUT_LOADER_ZFS=YES all
> make WITHOUT_LOADER_ZFS=YES install
>
> And now it works, with my old GigaByte mainboard!
>
> Why should pxeboot have ZFS support?
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/problem-with-isc-dhcpd-and-diskless-booting.82199/
>
> —HPS

Well, the feature X can be helpful for recovery purposes. The root cause is not
the feature X itself, but the size limit. And the unfortunate fact, the size
limit is not fixed, but depends on the system. Therefore there are two options
- either to fix the size limit or drop option X from default build — at least
till the size limit is fixed (or support for BIOS will be dropped).

rgds,
toomas