Hi,

I'm overlooking something fundamental it seems...

Context:
I'm working on my auto-jailing of services idea: if the auto-jail is enabled, a service like syslog is started inside a jail (which inherits the FS and depending on some settings also inherits network and other stuff or not).

My previous implementation was using _rc_prefix (jailstart) to denote the start of a service inside a jail so that "service XXX start" on a host would "service XXX jailstart" inside a jail. This had off course issues as there is no infrastructure for multiple prefix like onejailstart or jailonestart...

Problem:
Now I try to find a way to do it without a prefix, and the first thing which comes to my mind is to do "jail xxx 'exec.start=/usr/bin/env _rc_svcs=jailing /usr/bin/service XXX CMD ARGS'".

My expectation is, that this would set _rc_svcs=jailing for the command service XXX CMND args. Having a "set -x" in rc.subr shows clearly in the jail-console log, that inside that jail, the variable _rc_svcj is not set. Using "-v" for the env command shows in the log that it is called and it sets the var and executes the service command with syslog start as arguments.

I tried to find some env-cleanup part in rc.subr, which would discard all _rc* variables, but if there is something like that I overlooked it.

For a stop, I call "jexec /usr/bin/env _rc_svcj=jailing /usr/sbin/service XXX stop args", and it works, so I rather tend to believe there is no env-cleanup.

What am I doing wrong so that _rc_svcj is not picked up inside the jail?

So here is my diff between "prefix driven" (= working) and "var driven" (var not picked up inside the jail):
---snip---
                                case "$rc_arg" in
                                start)
-                                       if [ "${_rc_prefix}" != jail ]; then
+                                       if [ "${_rc_svcj}" != jailing ]; then
                                                _return=1
$JAIL_CMD -c $_svcj_generic_params $_svcj_cmd_options \ - exec.start="/usr/sbin/service ${name} jailstart $rc_extra_args" \ - exec.stop="/usr/sbin/service ${name} jailstop $rc_extra_args" \ + exec.start="/usr/bin/env _rc_svcj=jailing /usr/sbin/service ${name} ${rc_arg} $rc_extra_args" \ + exec.stop="/usr/bin/env _rc_svcj=jailing /usr/sbin/service ${name} ${rc_arg} $rc_extra_args" \ exec.consolelog="/var/log/svcj_${name}_console.log" \ name=svcj-${name} && _return=0
                                        else
# normal start of _cmd via _run_rc_doit
---snip---

What set -x tells what it calls:
---snip---
+ /usr/sbin/jail -c 'path=/' mount.nodevfs 'host=inherit' 'ip4=inherit' 'ip6=inherit' allow.reserved_ports 'exec.start=/usr/bin/env -v _rc_svcj=jailing /usr/sbin/service -v syslogd start ' 'exec.stop=/usr/bin/env _rc_svcj=jailing /usr/sbin/service syslogd start ' 'exec.consolelog=/var/log/svcj_syslogd_console.log' 'name=svcj-syslogd'
---snip---

Bye,
Alexander.

--